Embarking on a journey to find the best school for your child can be quite a complex process, especially if you have many options nearby or you’re considering boarding. The first major step is to whittle down the options to your top two to four selections. So, what do you need to consider when choosing a school for your child?
As discussed in our blog — Choosing the right school for your son, we suggest defining your ideal school and then developing a ‘key selection criteria.’ This process will help form the basis of your search and keep you on track as you investigate the many options available.
Here is a step-by-step checklist to help you shortlist and select a school for your child.
- Define your ideal school
- Boarding or day school
- Faith background
- Co-educational or single-sex
- Public, private or selective entrance
- Class sizes
- Teaching philosophies
- Subject availability
- School culture and key values
- Develop your ‘key selection criteria’
- Gather a list of the schools in your target area (or that provide boarding)
- Collect and review the school’s key resources to aid assessment, such as:
- Course offering or curriculum
- Pedagogy or approach to learning
- Academic performance — NAPLAN and WACE results (keep in mind test scores are not the whole picture)
- School policies — such as behaviour, bullying, attendance, discipline and uniform policies
- Special offerings — extra-curricular activities, excursions, school tours and specialised programs
- Admissions process
- Tuition fees and other expenses
- Measure the schools against your ‘key selection criteria’
- Select your top two to four shortlisted schools
- Book a tour with your shortlisted schools
Once you are ready to visit your shortlisted schools, see our blog What to look for on a school tour to help guide you in making your final decision. Seeing the school in action will help you to decide what is best suited for your son, can you picture him at the school?
Christ Church Grammar School is specifically designed for boys and focuses on building good men. If you are interested in seeing how Christ Church Grammar School measures up for your son, register for an upcoming tour and experience the School first hand.